Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accidents

For more than a decade, Baker Schulze & Murphy has provided representation for victims of motor vehicle accidents, helping them get compensation for their injuries. Prior to starting this firm, our attorneys each had decades of experience in accident cases. You can be certain that we know what you are going through and how to help you during this time.

Please see the answers to frequently asked questions below to learn more about car accidents in Arkansas. Contact us for a free consultation to get answers to your specific questions.

Should I accept the insurance company’s settlement offer?

It is usually best to consult with an attorney before accepting the insurance company’s offer. They often deny or undervalue claims to keep their costs low. We can review the offer and let you know if it is fair or if you are entitled to more compensation.

Why should I work with a law firm after a motor vehicle accident?

The insurance company’s lawyers work hard to minimize claims and deny liability. One of the ways that they make money is by settling claims for as little as possible. We understand their tactics. Consulting with a lawyer helps ensure you are treated fairly and get the compensation you deserve.

How much is my claim worth?

It depends on a variety of factors that can include:

  • The extent of the injuries and whether they are catastrophic or permanent
  • The type and duration of medical care you will need
  • The loss of income, including future income, you will suffer
  • Your physical and mental pain and suffering
  • Compensation for the loss of a loved one

Each case is different, so we recommend discussing yours with our team of attorneys to receive an answer that is specific to your situation.

What does it cost to file a claim?

There is no upfront cost to file a car accident claim. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you do not pay anything unless we recover compensation for you. Our fees are paid out of the settlement or jury award we receive.

If I am partially at fault for the accident, can I still get compensation for my injuries?

Yes, but only if the other driver is more than 50% responsible. If you are 50% or more responsible for the accident, you cannot recover damages. We can explain Arkansas’ modified comparative negligence rule and how it applies to you after we learn about your case.

Is there a time limit on when I can file a claim?

In Arkansas, you have three years from the date of the accident. It is not a good idea to wait, however. The sooner you file a claim, the sooner we can investigate the accident and review the evidence. The longer you wait, the better the chance of evidence disappearing and witnesses forgetting what they saw.

Can We Answer Other Questions For You?

Please call our Little Rock office at 501-588-3399 today or send us an email to schedule a free consultation.